[Greenbuilding] stealing heat from a woodstove for water heating

Reuben Deumling 9watts at gmail.com
Wed Jan 1 20:55:26 CST 2014

On Tue, Dec 31, 2013 at 2:41 PM, Topher <topher at greenfret.com> wrote:

> Wood runs around 8000 BTUs per pound.
> 1 BTU raises 1 pint of water 1 degree F.

That is great, but Frank Tettemer's experience heating X gallons of water
to Y temperature with his wood stove burning for Z hours/day is a lot
closer to something I can use. Starting with these figures, the variable
I'm having the hardest time with is still the affect that moving the 'water
jacket' further from the firebox has on this rate of heating. I was
thinking perhaps someone on this list might have insights into this piece
of the puzzle.

> Figure out what you want for a flue temperature to ensure no creosote.

I assume this is a known number or range. What do you suggest?
Knowing the measured effect on flue gas temperatures from water heating
infrastructure at different locations within the stove and stove pipe are
key here, but without building a system I can only guess what this effect
would be.

> It is probably best not to think of 'stealing' heat, but rather as burning
> longer to heat both house and water.

point taken.