[Greenbuilding] stealing heat from a woodstove for water heating

Reuben Deumling 9watts at gmail.com
Wed Jan 1 21:05:28 CST 2014

On Tue, Dec 31, 2013 at 2:54 PM, Erin Rasmussen <erin at trmiles.com> wrote:

> Hi Rueben,
>
> There is some good math hidden in online conventional water heater
> calculations, including some great averages for how much water typical
> tasks like dish washing etc takes. You may want to download one of those
> and see if the setup you're thinking of hits the right sorts of numbers.

I've got that part covered. I've been submetering end uses for many years.
Our average total household indoor water use (hot + cold) is right around
19 gallons per day. When the incoming water temperature isn't in the low
forties we can heat our domestic hot water with the pilot light in our
20-gallon water heater.

The other part of this is the heat transfer. I'm guessing that that's a
> coil around the flue transfer system, there are other heat exchangers out
> there.

The axeman system is a stainless steel sleeve that is installed in place of
the first section of stove pipe immediately above the stove.

> The pricey ones are pancake style and do a beautiful job of transferring
> heat, but are not usually used residentially.

pancake style? Where are these located relative to the stove/firebox?

> The other part of this is making sure that you don't have too much heat
> loss between the firebox and the point of use.

Short runs, small pipe diameter, well insulated. The current system
(natural gas fired) has all three. The revised version, relying on a
combination of wood and solar, is, unfortunately, going to have
considerably longer runs due to the N-S orientation of the house.