[Greenbuilding] stealing heat from a woodstove for water heating

conservation architect elitalking at rockbridge.net
Sun Jan 5 14:58:39 CST 2014

Corwyn writes:
Figure out what you want for a flue temperature to ensure no creosote.
It is probably best not to think of 'stealing' heat, but rather as
burning longer to heat both house and water.

My comments:

If the creosote was to occur directly above the firebox, would it not
provide additional fuel.  The hazard of creosote is that build up in the
chimney creates the hazard of chimney fires and eventually clogs the
opening.  As a liquid, this can be a sticky mess if it drains into chimney
seams that can leak.  However, if located directly above the fire box where
it would drain directly into the firebox, it would be burned for additional
heat.  If a chimney fire was to occur in stove pipe where water jacket was,
it would similar to a wood stove where the fire is contained.

The one issue with using a chimney to capture heat from wood stoves is that
it will dampen the draft, similar to masonry chimneys that often backdraft
before the fire can heat it up.  The additional cool mass of water will
simulate this.  Some kind of device for a forced draft would be appropriate.
If combustion air is a closed duct from outside, might a fan on the supply
air provide the forced draft. With a forced draft, some attention to the
burn temperature is needed, in that forced air would increase the burn
temperature.  A balance is needed.  This is the opposite of dampening the
draft.  Forced draft from air supply side would need to be cut off while
better to prevent backdraft while loading wood.  However, this creates
additional difficulty of running a fan in the combustion gases.  I fooled
with this a few years ago with a fan motor located above the top of the
chimney with a shaft that extended just below the top that would allow the
gas to escape and not go through the motor.  I had a wired on off switch
located next to the stove to control the run times according to conditions.
I think this is a good concept.  However, I could not work through the
mechanical issues.

Eli