[Greenbuilding] stealing heat from a woodstove for water heating

Bob Waldrop bwaldrop1952 at att.net
Sun Jan 5 21:01:10 CST 2014

The insurance deal varies.  I've had a wood burning stove since 2005.
When it was installed, all my insurance wanted at that time was pictures
of the installation showing that it was on a fireproof surface, that
said surface extended out about 18", and that it was at least that far
from anything flammable and that the chimney reliner was a
professional.  Maybe it was 2 ft clearance, I don't remember. Mine isn't
UL listed although it is listed with something called the Maine
Woodheating Laboratory.  I changed insurance a couple of years later,
and the new insurance (Oklahoma Farm Bureau) didn't ask for anything
particular about my stove, only to note its presence on the premises.
Your mileage may vary I suppose, but insurance hasn't been a hassle for
me with my stove. I think burning properly seasoned wood helps reduce
the creosote problem.

Bob Waldrop, Oklahoma City
http://www.ipermie.net  Permaculture your urban lifestyle & protect yourself from the four horsemen of the modern apocalypse: peak oil, climate instability, economic irrationality, and political criminality