[Greenbuilding] saran wrap interior window insulation kits: experience

Topher topher at greenfret.com
Fri Jan 10 21:49:11 CST 2014

Greetings,

Generally the tape isn't great, and can remove paint when you take it
off.  The single sheet of plastic film doesn't add much to the
insulation value of the window.   In the best of circumstances they only
last a year.

I would be happy to make you up interior storm window kits for your
windows.
See http://www.greenfret.com/storms.html or
http://www.greenfret.com/order_storms.html  (for measuring and ordering
info).  Make a frame, add two layers of film (for an additional two air
spaces).  I use high quality tape (and it never touches your paint),
100 gauge very clear film, and 1/2" x 1/2" weatherstrip.  Kits run about
$20 apiece (depending on size). There are over 10,000 of these in Maine
made to my design (though mostly not made by me).  They are very easy to
make, I teach a workshop and teach everyone from young (14ish) kids, to
elder ladies how to make them.

Drop me a line if you want to discuss options.

Thank You Kindly,

Corwyn / Topher Belknap

On 1/10/2014 7:58 PM, Reuben Deumling wrote:
> I'm curious to hear from anyone who's used these kits (typically saran
> wrap and double stick tape, but there may be fancier versions
> available). I'd like to insulation a bunch of single pane wood
> windows, many of which are set into splayed window wells.
>
> Are there products/brands you prefer/would not recommend?
>
> Tricks you learned by working with these materials?
>
> What about using the saran wrap on a lightweight frame that could be
> (re-)moved on an opening window?
>
> Other thoughts?
>
> Thanks very much.

> No virus found in this message.