[Greenbuilding] Plastic interior storm windows [was: polycarbonate panels as porch roof?]

Topher topher at greenfret.com
Thu Jan 16 08:35:06 CST 2014

On 1/11/2014 3:37 PM, RT wrote:
> For ... interior storms of Reuben's other query, my preference would
> be to use diverted-from-the-wastestream glass rather than
> plast-echhhh! ... especially new plast-eccchhh!.

While I am no fan of plastic, I must disagree with this.  We used to
have storm windows made of glass.  They were single pane, very heavy and
no one liked them.  When Aluminum triple tracks came around after the
war, people flocked to them in droves.  Making a double pane storm
window  would be too heavy for most people to make, move, or change out
every season.  In the workshop I run, we have gone through 1000 linear
feet of plastic film this winter alone,  that is the equivalent of 125
doors out of the transfer station.  That would require over 10 pick-up
trips if our dump even had that many (it doesn't).  Call it 20 gals of
gas (20 miles each way).  We are already over the entire embodied energy
of that much plastic.  Then those door need to be disassembled, cleaned,
the tempered glass needs to be cut, reassembled, and put in a frame,
taken to home where they will used, and installed.  Most of that could
not be done by the elder ladies, or kids that I get in my workshops.  It
just isn't practical; the proof of that is that NO ONE is making double
pane interior storm windows, while I long ago lost track of how many
thousands are being made here in Maine alone.

Thank You Kindly,

Topher Belknap

--
Topher Belknap