[Greenbuilding] boiler

Norbert Senf norbert.senf at gmail.com
Mon Jan 20 23:30:20 CST 2014

The 84% and 94% values represent laboratory tests done under ideal,
standardized conditions. They certainly do not reflect any of the
peculiarities of the installation, such as standby losses up the chimney
during the off cycle.

Why not get a boiler that allows you to hook up an outside air duct
directly to the boiler, rather than having to use the boiler room, by
making the boiler room literally "outside". If it is making your kitchen
cold, then it is the first thing you want to improve...............Norbert

On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 10:32 PM, Benjamin Pratt <benjamin.g.pratt at gmail.com
> wrote:

> Maybe not the best question to ask here, but can't find a better option:
>
> I have a 15yo 50kbtu boiler, that works fine. It is rated at something
> like 84% efficiency. There is no damper--it is always open. There is also a
> cold air inlet in the room that is always open.
>
> The boiler is getting old, and the chimney it, and the water heater vents
> out of is in need of repair.
> If I upgrade to a boiler and water heater that vents out of the side of
> the house, I will I save a lot of energy? If a newer boiler is rated at 94
> percent efficiency, does that include the inefficiency off all the cold air
> being dumped into the house, and all the warm air escaping out of the
> chimney?
>
> I am hoping the upgrade also will allow me to eliminate the chimney (at
> least to the roof line), save heating costs, and, hopefully, keep the
> furnace room warmer--indirectly heating the kitchen above (which is the
> coldest room in the house).
>
> There is a local person who will sell you a boiler--even a used one-- and
> be a resource for you to do a self-install. I believe, if I go through this
> guy, that I can do a good job installing it.
>
> WIll the upgrade do what I want it to and does it make sense from an
> energy saving/economic standpoint?

Norbert Senf
Masonry Stove Builders
25 Brouse Road, RR 5