[Greenbuilding] Open Cell Failure

John Salmen terrain at shaw.ca
Wed Jan 22 12:34:07 CST 2014

I like the term predictive failure that was used to describe roofing
technology. Mostly in reference to commercial flat roof construction but it
makes sense. What it basically means is that we can assume that each
material in an assembly will be compromised to some degree. The degree of
failure depends on the materials ability to cope.  Moisture studies in
plywood and osb have shown basically that plywood can withstand repeated
wettings and dry significantly enough to cope. OSB can be more moisture
resistant but once saturated has a limited ability to transport the moisture
out.  This basically means that OSB has to be fully protected from moisture
- meaning a fully adhered waterproofing membrane over (one of the
conclusions or  recommendations from a Building Science study) and a thick
enough open cell foam barrier inside to act as a vb. (if relying on open
cell foam - minimum 4" usually).  Still a shaky assembly if the water
barrier or vapour barrier is compromised you have a material that will fail
in the middle. I've started liking engineered wood product but don't think
osb should be used on a roof.

Plywood is different in that it transports moisture to exterior faces. My
thought is that in such an assembly it would be a benefit to have an open
cell foam - but that is just a thought as I've not seen any moisture studies
on this.