[Greenbuilding] temperature stratification rule of thumb (in two-story house)?

RT ArchiLogic at yahoo.ca
Wed Jul 9 17:28:13 CDT 2014

On Tue, 08 Jul 2014 20:47:19 -0400, Reuben Deumling <9watts at gmail.com>
wrote:

> To my chagrin, the temperature in the now much better insulated portion
> is no different than in the equivalently oriented part of the upstairs.
> Both are only about 7 degrees cooler than the outside

The improved thermal insulation that will hopefully keep the occupants
toasty in winter doesn't know that you don't want it to keep heat in the
house in summer.

Stoopit insulation. Eh ?

In addition to the 30 degC-plus outdoor temps in summer, there are still
the internal heat gains due to occupancy and solar  gains from the
S/W-facing glazing which are no doubt appreciated in winter but it's not
the job of the insulation to get rid of that same heat in summer when it's
not welcome.

That job falls to stuff like shading devices , ventilation strategies,
thermal mass etc. ... and I would not under-estimate the role that
significant amounts thermal mass can play in helping to provide large
temperature differentials between inside and outside.

I'd go so far as to venture that it can be the difference between needing
mechanical cooling vs. passive cooling to keep the occupants comfortably
cool during hot weather.

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom . . . T60BOM

A r c h i L o g i c at Y a h o o dot C A
(manually winnow the chaff from my edress if you hit "reply")