[Greenbuilding] between a rock and a shoulder season

Michael O'Brien obrien at hevanet.com
Sun Jun 8 15:35:06 CDT 2014

Hi, Reuben--

I take your point about electricity--our solution is to buy wind power, to make the house as efficient as we could, and install rooftop solar water heating. Better than gas, I believe, plus our gas company has never supported energy efficiency programs like the electrics have (albeit they have had their ups and downs).

I'm saving up for a water heater heat pump to provide domestic hot water and hydronic space heat. I think the smaller Daikin Altherma looks good, it has a COP of more than 4, and our current solar HW can be integrated into it.

Not for the faint of wallet, I know, last time I checked around five years ago it was going to cost about $18,000 and there are no tax credits or rebates. There may be others out on the market?

Best,

Mike

Mike O'Brien Photography
mikeoregon.zenfolio.com