[Greenbuilding] Veneer Foam Panels

Michael O'Brien obrien at hevanet.com
Mon Jun 23 19:22:53 CDT 2014

Hello, CA--

What's your climate like?

Best,

Mike O'Brien

Mike O'Brien Photography
mikeoregon.zenfolio.com

On Jun 23, 2014, at 4:34 PM, <conservationarchitect at rockbridge.net> <conservationarchitect at rockbridge.net> wrote:

I am interested in bonding a veneer grade plywood to a 4 to 6 inch thick panel of EPS foam that could be set to the interior of building framing to achieve a continuous thermal barrier.  I am wanting the beauty of the wood to replace the need for conventional sheetrock so this can be the finished surface.  I think that the thickness of the foam bonded to the plywood makes both more rigid and able to take some loading.  Although, unlike SIPs I want the main structure to be separate from the insulation (thermal barrier).  I am wondering if using low investment methods such as spreading foam appropriate panel adhesive over eps foam laid flat would achieve adequate bonding.  I am also wondering if humidity is a factor in bonding and or dimensional stability.  I would seal the seams. The seams would be covered with a finish grade wood strip.

If I had the structural sheathing (osb or plywood) to the interior side of conventional wood framing, siding could be mounted directly onto the framing to allow for drafting in the cavity which can serve as the drain dry plain that is needed if we are not drafting heated air through the wall.

The intention is to set these panels on the floor framing to be primarily self supporting avoiding the need for the long fasteners that drive up cost and likely reduce thermal performance.  In some cases, I would use the flat ceiling for the top of the thermal barrier.  I was interested in installing some exposed ceiling rafters that would be supported by a ledger mounted to the wall foam-plywood panels.  I would set veneer plywood above and support thick layer of foam.  The loads would be only the rafters, foam and the plywood.  Live load and dead loads from the main roof are carried by conventional wood trusses.  These ceiling rafters wedge the wall paneling in place.  This ceiling assembly can be set in place without bonding.  This also avoids the long fasteners.  I would top off the ceiling foam from the attic side with fire retarded cellulose to serve as the 15 minute fire barrier required by code.
Greenbuilding at bioenergylists.org