[Greenbuilding] Best bang for the buck in wall insulation

Lynelle A. Hamilton lynelle at kos.net
Tue Mar 25 09:59:41 CDT 2014

Hi Alan,

No question is a simple one, I guess!

House is on a river, so will have some humidity concerns.  Location is
south Lake Simcoe, so predominately a heating climate.  House will be
protected by trees on 2-3 sides (assuming root shock is minimal) Will
have some northern exposure as the river is to the north; exposed
southern face for sunspace.

Cladding and windows are secondary to the structure's insulation. I'll
use the best windows I can get, though.

Lynelle
On 3/25/2014 10:53 AM, Alan Abrams wrote:
> Lynelle-
>
> I think the answer depends.
>
> first consideration is whether the building is in a heating only
> climate, or if cooling will be necessary as well.  Also, relative
> humidity--where in the wall and under what condition is the greatest
> risk of condensation?
>
> other considerations include static loads and wind / seismic loads /
> number of stories / height of walls.
>
> also, penetrations. flanged windows or clip type. exterior trim
> details. and what cladding will be used? assumptions for hardie board
> will not work for wood shingles, board and batten, or brick.
>
> lastly, I'd definitely factor in the capability of the builder. if all
> I had to work with were your basic nail gunners, I'd sacrifice optimum
> performance to keep the detailing simple...
>
> IOWs, telling us a little more about context would be helpful...
>
> AA
>

> Alan Abrams*
> */certified professional building designer, AIBD
> certified passive house consultant, PHIUS/
> /certified passive house builder, PHIUS//
> /Abrams Design Build LLC
> /sustainable design for intentional living/
> cell 202-437-8583
> alan at abramsdesignbuild.com <mailto:alan at abramsdesignbuild.com>
> www.abramsdesignbuild.com <http://www.abramsdesignbuild.com/>
>

> On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 9:28 AM, Lynelle A. Hamilton <lynelle at kos.net
> <mailto:lynelle at kos.net>> wrote:
>
>     Hi Listers,
>
>     I am looking to tap the collective expertise of the group for
>     house #3.  I am aiming for R-50 or so in the walls, but would love
>     opinions on the greenest and most cost effective method to attain
>     same.
>
>     Any thoughts?
>
>     Lynelle
>
>     ---
>     This email is free from viruses and malware because avast!
>     Antivirus protection is active.

---