[Greenbuilding] Double-stud wall (was Re: Best bang for the buck in wall insulation)

RT archilogic at yahoo.ca
Wed Mar 26 16:55:41 CDT 2014

On Wed, 26 Mar 2014 11:42:01 -0400, AA-man wrote:

> here's where I'm heading ...*OVE stud wall
> *a void, width determined by specific space heat demand analysis
> *an inner frame wall
> *the entire framing cavity filled with DP cellulose

The above sounds very much like a double-stud wall section so one should
choose which of the two frame walls is load-bearing .

Logically, the interior wall would be the one designated as load-bearing
even if only because doing so shortens the spans of flexural members like
joists and rafters. When we're talking about fat superinsulated walls, the
difference in span can mean a difference in one joist size.

In making the interior wall loadbearing, there's no need for the exterior
wall to be a 2x6 OVE stud wall -- it can be a 2x3 or 2x4 wall with studs
at 24" o/c, single top plates, no lintels over openings (assuming that
we're talking about low-rise residential building)

One just needs to ensure that one allows for eventual shrinkage of
cross-grain framing members (ie sill & top plates, rim joists, lintels) in
the bearing wall so that the curtain wall does not inadvertantly become
loadbearing.
--
=== * ===
Rob Tom					AOD257

< A r c h i L o g i c  at  Y a h o o  dot  c a  >
(manually winnow the chaff from my edress if you hit "reply")