[Greenbuilding] Double-stud wall (was Re: Best bang for the buck in wall insulation)

Clarke Olsen prismoidal at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 08:11:18 CDT 2014

The problem with single top headers is that, when triaging the lumber, it's hard to find something you feel can be trusted up there all alone... 2x3 sounds better then it is: most of them are crap. The other reason to make the interior studs bearing is that you can keep the foundation back, leaving a very generous overhang to drip past the foam that covers your foundation. I used to think I was a hero for putting 2" of blueboard under the slab and against the foundation, until I noticed how nice & cool it was in summer...
Clarke Olsen
clarkeolsendesign.com
373 route 203
Spencertown, NY 12165