[Greenbuilding] Saving millions of XP PCs/Laptops

Nick Pyner npyner at ihug.com.au
Fri Mar 28 21:05:08 CDT 2014

-----Original Message-----
From: Greenbuilding [mailto:greenbuilding-bounces at lists.bioenergylists.org]
On Behalf Of RT

I haven't thought this through much but...

Would it not be possible to create a new partition on the hard drive and
install something like Ubuntu OS on it to create a dual-boot system ?

Use the Ubuntu OS (or other) when connected to the internet and when using
the Win XP partition for work applications, disconnect from the internet.

Yes. I have seen articles on that path but I'm not sure it's worth the
effort and I doubt anybody would do it for long. I have to admit though that
this could be an enforcer of discipline. The problem with this stuff is that
all the talk is about Microsoft and I don't even know if they contribute
much to my security. I rigorously use AVG and Avast, along with malwarebytes
CC and S&D but I pay no attention to Microsoft security.
One thing I'm pretty confident about is that there is quite a market for
third party suppliers of XP security.

Since I am a professional, I am looking at using a W8 laptop on a lecturn
for all the Internet traffic, but this is for personal health reasons rather
than being spooked by Microsoft, and downloaded files have to get from there
to the real work on the desktop anyway. The same applies to dual boot
systems.

Nick Pyner

Dee Why Beach   NSW

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/sticking-with-windows-xp-here-are-your-o
ptions/

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/what-to-do-if-you-love-windows-xp-and-ha
te-windows-8/?tag=nl.e098&s_cid=e098&ttag=e098&ftag=TRE126e25f

---