[Greenbuilding] interior storm windows: mounting against beveled jambs & spacing

Reuben Deumling 9watts at gmail.com
Sat Nov 1 10:44:15 CDT 2014

Topher,
I have a bunch of single pane windows with beveled jambs (30deg) I'd like
to add interior 'storm' windows to, using your approach.
http://www.greenfret.com/storms.html  How much space would you leave
between the two windows? From what I know about how air moves, my guess
would be 'as little as possible.'

Secondly, I'm trying to think of a way to hold them in place. Attaching
four of those studs with wood screw threads on one end, and machine threads
on the other to the edge of the sash, and drilling equivalent holes through
the storm window frame I figured I could use wingnuts to snug the storm
against the beveled jamb. Thermally elegant, but it leaves four studs
jutting into the living space during the rest of the year, which isn't
great. Have you encountered this, or have suggestions?

Thanks.