[Greenbuilding] thermosiphon questions

Norbert Senf norbert.senf at gmail.com
Sun Nov 2 10:34:20 CST 2014

Hi Reuben: That's not to say that it can't be done. In Ireland, I saw wood
fired cookstoves with a water jacket apparently running a bunch of
radiators, pretty much at the same elevation and with no apparent
circulation pump. Wish I'd had time to investigate further. We have one
client who has a masonry heater with a water coil in the firebox,
thermosyphoning into a regular hot water tank behind the heater, only
slightly elevated off the floor. Works fine. With the large horizontal run,
your enemies are friction and heat loss. You can insulate the heck out of
the supply line, and use a large diameter pipe to cut the friction. If you
can afford the loss, leaving the return line uninsulated would give you
more temperature differential for thermosyphoning.  Studying how those
systems in Ireland work, would be useful...............Norbert

Norbert Senf
Masonry Stove Builders
25 Brouse Road, RR 5
Shawville Québec J0X 2Y0