[Greenbuilding] building a wall (not a building) out of strawbales

Reuben Deumling 9watts at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 23:41:31 CDT 2014

I'm not a member of any strawbale forum so I'll pose my question here since
we used to talk about strawbale construction quite a bit here on the
greenbuilding list and some of you surely know enough to set me straight.

 I'm considering surrounding a large garden with a wall to keep the deer
out. Since strawbales are plentiful and cheap around these parts I thought
of them first. To keep the wall from disintegrating (assuming the plan to
use straw bales for the purpose has merit) I'm expecting to seal up the
wall with plaster or some equivalent layer. Is this difficult? Foolish?
Necessary? Will I need a roof over the top of the wall or can I plaster the
top as well as the sides?

Thanks for any and all suggestions.