[Greenbuilding] building a wall (not a building) out of strawbales

Rob Dickinson robd at pobox.com
Thu Oct 9 10:25:55 CDT 2014

I live a few miles down the road from Aprovecho, a "sustainability
education center" where, as part of their Natural Building Program, they
build a lot with cob.  Cob, as you know, is comprised of straw, clay, and
sand.  They have built some beautiful garden walls with cob. Because the
straw is just there to provide fiber to integrate everything together, kind
of like natural rebar, and not the primary ingredient, it doesn't hold as
much moisture.

People seem to find cob works well even here in the rainy Pacific
Northwest.

Rob