[Greenbuilding] Discouraging White Tails

Frank Tettemer frank at livingsol.com
Fri Oct 10 07:06:53 CDT 2014

Deer are very sensitive creatures. I don't know the science behind it,
but they can detect, and be alarmed, by electric currents.

Here's the practical experience behind that "science":

In a very rural area, covered by 90% forest, we have a garden which
grows all vegetables, including many deer favorites, such as corn, kale,
chard, lettuce, melons, etc.
Racoons also love corn and melons.  Most neighbours have given up on
corn and melons, unless they have a pet dog or two, to keep them away.
We don't have a dog, but instead have built a very low fence, at 32"
high. This fence has six strands of wire, very close together. The
bottom strand, about an inch off of the hay mulch, is a "ground" wire.
Next up, are two "live" wires. about five or six inches apart. Next is
another "ground" wire. Then another two "live" wires.  The live wires
are connected to a very strong pulsing electric fencer, bought from the
local farmer's co-op.  We have had success for many years, keeping
racoons and ground hogs out. (Well of course; I hate accidentally
touching it myself)

Deer will graze within fifty feet, eating any brome grasses, timothy,
twitch grass, alfalfa, vetch, etc. We leave them to eat unmolested, as
they are wonderful to watch at sunset. Certainly, they could simply
jump, (or step over), that fence.
But they don't.

--
Frank Tettemer