[Greenbuilding] radiant windows

Alan Abrams alan at abramsdesignbuild.com
Wed Oct 22 06:25:54 CDT 2014

seems like the same argument for insulation under a radiant slab would
apply: you would be providing a source of heat adjacent to a heat sink with
an infinite capacity. But I would defer to any physicist who could explain
the mechanics better--that is, how much heat energy is radiated and
conducted back into the room, vs how much is radiated and conducted to the
exterior. I am particularly troubled by the assertions that:

   - When the temperature of the glass exceeds the inside air temp by 3-5
   dF, the windows become opaque to heat loss
   - The R-values of the windows increase and then exceed the R-value of
   the walls

On the face of it, it sounds like ArcClad has discovered a way to suspend
some important Laws.

-AA

Alan Abrams

*certified professional building designer, AIBDcertified passive house
consultant, PHIUS*
*certified passive house builder, PHIUS*
cell     202-437-8583
alan at abramsdesignbuild.com
HELICON WORKS *Achitecture and Education*
<http://www.heliconworks.com/index2.html>