[Greenbuilding] New Type of Chipboard

RT ArchiLogic at yahoo.ca
Thu Sep 18 08:31:34 CDT 2014

Unlike Dr. WatJohn who grew up on a working farm, I was born and raised in
the city so have been removed from working the earth for a number of
generations and as such, am talking out of my hat (some might say a
completely different anatomical region) when it comes to agrarian
knowledge but have comments nevertheless.

 From what I've seen, corn stover is even more "woody" than the "waste"
residues  (ie straw) left over from growing cereal grains.

Decomposition of such cellulosic materials which are ploughed back into
the soil consume valuable nitrogen from the soil and corn stover, being so
woody, requires a long time to decompose.

So, in addition to depleting nitrogen from the soil (nitrogen being
essential to leafy vegetative growth), the long decomposition time of the
very coarse debris hinders planting of the next growing season's crop.

In the Olde Days, farmers dealt with these  issues by spreading manure
(human or animal) fertiliser on their fields (ie the manure containing
lots of nitrogen which helps to accelerate decomposition of the cellulosic
crop residues and well as putting nitrogen into the soil) and then leaving
the fields to remain fallow for a year before planting a different crop
(ie crop rotation).

In Modern Day MegaFarming, leaving a field to lay fallow for a year would
be an unspeakable sin, from the viewpoint of a financial bottom line and
just not done.

So in the Olde Days, in addition to improving soil fertility without the
use of the fertiliser equivalent of Monsanto crystal meth which has a
similar effect on soil as does the Breaking Bad chemicals on humans , soil
tilth (ie soil structure) would also be improved by having had the crop
residues worked back into the soil.

Which is to say, in a long and roundabout way, in answer to Sanjay's
musing, I would venture "Yes", working crop residues like corn stover back
into the soil does make a significant contribution to sustainablity.

The health of soils in which such practises are utilised will be vastly
different than the soils in which crop residues are removed and used to
make stuff like building panels. The latter soils will most likely have a
structure like concrete and be biologically burned out, essentially dead.

Without healthy soil, well, you know.

Which is to say the same thing as Dr. WatJohn but in way more words, the
"new type of chipboard" was not a problem that needed to be solved.

(And I would have said the same even if I weren't such a hater of gumboard
(aka OSB, aka crapboard) as a building material. )

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom . . . T60BOM

A r c h i L o g i c at Y a h o o dot C A
(manually winnow the chaff from my edress if you hit "reply")