[Greenbuilding] glass panels as porch roof?

RT ArchiLogic at yahoo.ca
Fri Sep 19 15:37:47 CDT 2014

The glass requires 1/2" bearing on the support framing  + 1/4 "edge
clearance to allow for expansion.

Allowing 1" width for the clamping bar fastening arrangement the total
width for two glass panels is 2.5".

For a porch roof, normal, nominal 2x framing lumber is fine for the
rafters. (ie 2x6, 2x8 etc depending upon specific span and load conditions.

One simply needs to attach a 1x3 (ie 3/4" x 2.5") to the top edge of the
rafter to create a "T" cross-section member.

The 1x3 provides the necessary 2.5" width for the bearing , as well as
lateral stiffening for the 1.5" dimension of the rafter. while at the same
time minimising the shadow cast by the framing member.

Standard steel stud framing channel runner will serve as a water-proof cap
for the support framing member and standard "J" trim can be inserted under
the edges of the upside down channel to function as condensation gutters.

I have lots of EPDM roof membrane around that it's easy to slice off
strips from to place on top of the metal cap on which the glass can rest
and be free to move. Some double-faced tape can be used to adhere it.

Standard aluminum clapping bars are typically a minimum of $# per lineal
foot .  I find it more economical to simply use beveled-edge wood battens
as clamping bars and bend a sheet metal cap to snap over it, milling a
dado into the batten to accept 6mm neoprene screen spline which functions
as a pressure gasket.

This provides a basic outline of the process (effectiveness proven by
decades-worth of trouble-free service) but I've obviously left out many
details. Not rocket science to figure out on one's own.

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom . . . T60BOM

A r c h i L o g i c at Y a h o o dot C A
(manually winnow the chaff from my edress if you hit "reply")