[Greenbuilding] New Type of Chipboard

John Salmen terrain at shaw.ca
Wed Sep 24 19:30:46 CDT 2014

Hi

The data is out there even somewhat anecdotally on the site you reference.
All you have to consider is that cellulose insulation is advertised from
many manuf. as 100% recycled newsprint (except for the borates). You also
have to wonder why countries such as England can have an 80-% recycled
content in paper and I doubt we are even at 15%.  Lots of information out
there  - though you may want to look at actual sources and studies than
generic websites. Also lots of information about wool as it is one of the
most researched materials in the world. The wool I am referring to is not
what is used for clothing.  Its true there are not a lot of sheep in the US
of the 4 legged kind - something like only 30 million pounds of fleece
(enough to insulate only 30-50 million cubic ft of space).

The buildinggreen article was a great one but if memory serves (long time
ago) they do not make any reference to  problems and env cost of diverting
value added materials to lesser value usage (which is the point) - If the
environmental cost of producing the pulp and paper to begin with was
factored it - it would not look very good.

I never said it was bad - just that it was stupid and there are a lot of
stupid (i.e. poorly designed or conceived) objects out there - like cars.
The issue is basic - newsprint is better used to make newsprint as it is a
slightly higher quality tree that is mushed up and chemically treated at
great env and financial cost to make it white and nice.

So once you have gone to the great trouble (environmental as well as
financial) of bleaching the shit out of trees to make paper smooth and white
would you then stuff it in walls?  If newspaper can be recycled up to 9
times then it should be - before we start considering it as a building
material. Fibre insulation can be made from a lot of materials (many of
which are not suitable for paper products).

It basically goes back to how much deforestation we want to achieve and to
what purpose. Cellulose insul is not a big issue yet as it accounts for only
about 3% of insulation used in the US. Most recycled newspaper is exported
at this point so its hard to say how that industry can grow without
competing for the raw material. I think cellulose insul will simply become a
generic fibre insul product.  We will see a huge interest in insulation in
the coming years as the US tries to meet its emission protocols - one of the
programs being to re-insulate America.

If you want to get really confused about what is good and what is bad and
what might be bad - check out the following paper - it seems inhalation of
cellulose fibre may be hazardous :
http://www.jniosh.go.jp/en/indu_hel/pdf/IH39_17.pdf