[Greenbuilding] Insamalgum (was Re:New Type of Chipboard)

RT ArchiLogic at yahoo.ca
Thu Sep 25 11:41:21 CDT 2014

On Wed, 24 Sep 2014 14:25:32 -0400, Clarke Olsen <colsen at fairpoint.net>
wrote:

> Perhaps a new insulation (insamalgum?) could be made, incorporating the
> wool from meat animals, plant fiber, rock wool...

Or perhaps a new insulation strategy that incorporates different types of
insulation materials into a hybrid envelope cross section  (for which
Clark's label would work equally well) ?

If you take a look at the thermal imaging snapshots for the double-stud
wall with Vacuum Insulated Panels (VIP) at the core of the wall between
the loadbearing and curtain stud walls, you will see no (zero, none, zip,
nada) thermal bridging.

http://tinyurl.com/qc9mtow

or if the tinyurl doesn't work for some reason

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CDwQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pws.gov.nt.ca%2Fpdf%2FPMC%2FNRC%2520Integration%2520of%2520VIP%2520in%2520Canadian%2520Buildings%2520-%2520Mike%2520Swinton_crtd.pdf&ei=GzskVN_UE8SOyAS40oCYCA&usg=AFQjCNF16_gWXU5FkGRph-haMt9B13Aq1g&bvm=bv.76247554,d.aWw

(the link takes you to a PDF download)

Me ? Rather than spending the BigBux on VIPs, I would tend to simply
increase the spacing between the inner and outer stud walls  or between
the two chords of parallel chord roof trusses and use inexpensive Roxul
throughout. But I never build in the City where increasing wall thickness
would mean a loss in interior floor space so my druthers are irrelevant to
this discussion.

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom . . . T60BOM

A r c h i L o g i c at Y a h o o dot C A
(manually winnow the chaff from my edress if you hit "reply")