[Greenbuilding] Fat Americans (was Re: Staggering 1/2 tonne per person per year cement production!)

Reuben Deumling 9watts at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 23:08:01 CDT 2015

About fifteen years ago, my wife and I decided to weigh all the food we ate
for a year. We identified 172 categories. We also weighed our compost. I
offer these statistics as a contribution to this lovely
(unrelated-to-greenbuilding) conversation:

During that year the two of us ate 1,659 lbs (net of compost)
which averages to 2.7lbs/person/day.
- grains incl. bread 599 lbs
- vegetables 427 lbs
- dairy products 397 lbs
- fruit 320 lbs

(category totals sum to more than the annual total because the experiment
actually ran for 14 months)