[Greenbuilding] Staggering 1/2 tonne per person per year cement production!

sanjay jain sanjayjainuk at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Apr 16 10:01:54 CDT 2015

> That's more cement than food!

I realized that was wrong as soon as I hit send.

The NPR's article Nick linked to is probably accurate, NPR is not known for misreporting and it links to the USDA site for the stats. Of course that is for Americans, so my comment for food consumption globally is probably accurate.
But the reason I was actually wrong is that we need to consider how much food was grown for our food consumption. Two people may eat the same weight in food, but a person consuming 2nd hand protein has to account for all the food fed to the animals.  Of course there are other issues like locally grown, organic, grass fed etc...

Getting back to the cement, it is simply staggering. It makes our individual efforts seem pointless. Could someone tell me who I need to contact to get my 1/2 tonne of cement?  :)
~sanjay

----
If people in glass houses didn't throw stones, we'd all be living in glass houses!