[Greenbuilding] Advice about French Drain

Martha Beddoe mebeddoe at twcny.rr.com
Tue Jul 7 17:54:28 CDT 2015

Hello all - lurker here who now has a homeowner question.  We are installing
a French drain on the north wall the basement of our hillside house, to try
to relieve some leaking that's occurring in our basement.  We also need to
remediate a failure in our heating system, which up until last February's
failure WAS a wood-fired boiler; the water jacket perforated during the
coldest possible weather here in zone 4.  Our options are a new wood
gasifier or a new geothermal system and we are making up our minds.  The
issue is that the French drain install is occurring before the heating
system install, and each system requires a cellar wall penetration.  The
most likely spot would cross the French drain.  Is it reasonable to expect
that one can dig up part of a French drain, install the necessary piping,
then return the drain to its previous condition and have it continue to
function?  Anyone have experience or an opinion?  Please no flames - I
already know I don't know anything :).

Martha Beddoe

mebeddoe at twcny.rr.com

Earth care. People care. Fair share. Limits-aware.

- - - -

- - - -