[Greenbuilding] off-gassing and what if anything to do about it?

Reuben Deumling 9watts at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 00:54:46 CDT 2015

A friend just bought a brand new house. Very efficient and also very full
of nasty smells.

Here is her question:

*We're dealing with a house with all new everything. Ick. It's green
meaning super energy efficient - insulation etc. but I don't think that
extends to the toxic ness of the things they use to make stuff. It smells
awful when you walk in. So I'm trying to figure out what to do to reduce
it. Do you know much about these matters or know anyone that does? For
example, I'm thinking of using this Carpet sealer, but I'm not sure how to
assess if it actually makes a difference. Flooring and paint are the other
major things- I think.*
Any thoughts? I have no experience whatsoever with this sort of thing. An
unexpected advantage of sourcing everything from the dumpster, I guess.

Thanks!