[Greenbuilding] insulating beneath an existing floor.

home-nrg home-nrg at dnaco.net
Thu Jul 30 09:05:00 CDT 2015

Sacie,

Without more info on your earlier experience, and in view of
how limestone is subject to erosion by water contact as well
as the freeze/thaw cycle, protecting the foundation would
seem to be essentially isolating it from moisture in any
form.
The airflow of an exposed, unsealed foundation traditionally
provided this.

The measures for reducing structural heat loss is likely to
change the conditions which drove that airflow
(ventilation).

Presumably the "floor" inside the foundation is ground (soil
or gravel) without a moisture barrier seal. This leaves that
soil as a moisture source in most parts of the country.

What sort of provision have you made for perimeter drainage?

>From what you describe, I'd suggest you consider treating
the floor as a sixth exterior wall, with suitable insulation
and air sealing.

An alternative to a compulsively complete, fully sealed
over-soil moisture barrier would be a dedicated fan to
pressurize the enclosed (crawl) space, to provide the force
for air flow through the foundation.

 (Find something more durable than construction-standard
6-mil plastic. Clients have had good luck with 10-12mil
commercial membrane.)

Just my speculation, without seeing the site or having more
information (and not having to fund the work).

Bob Klahn