[Greenbuilding] The hope of biochar

conservationarchitect at rockbridge.net conservationarchitect at rockbridge.net
Thu Jun 25 11:08:18 CDT 2015

I have learned that we can create charcoal of pure carbon from biologically sequestered carbon that reduces co2 in the atmosphere.  Biochar does not remove co2 directly.  The plants do that.  The carbon cycle for plants is to grow from a seed to maturity, assimilating co2 from the atmosphere, die, decompose co2 back into the atmosphere.   However, if the bio mass containing the carbon is converted into biochar, half the carbon is sequestered for thousands of years.  We know this because an ancient culture in the amazon created rich soils in poor soils where charcoal is still present today.

Also, the motivator to do this need not be the intimidating goal of preserving the ecology with our tiny action.  For some this is a good motivator on it’s own.  However, biochar that is charged with organic matter improves soil fertility by holding micro-organisms, micro-nutrients and water to better build up the biological life in the soil to improve yields of crops.

I have read that the carbon stored in the soils is greater than all the living plants growing. Whether with biochar or other methods, improving the soil fertility is sequestering carbon.  However, biochar makes that sequestering more long term.

I am still inquiring about whether biochar can have these benefits.  I welcome doubters to present information to vet my discernment.

For the moment, I am hopeful we have a process healing the environment by building up the soil in a way that makes permanent the sequestered carbon in plants and affirms the people doing this with improved life conditions for plants.

Brief description of biochar by TED talk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrDOLx57KUU

Good explanation of biochar.  I would like more acknowledgment that reducing emissions is still our primary tool for mitigating climate change.  However, even with that accomplished, we are still left with the task of removing greenhouse gases.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-hSl59ET2A

Home scale production of biochar.  This is first session of 4 part workshop on biochar.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svNg5w7WY0k

Youtube has many shorter description of home scale production.

Eli