[Greenbuilding] Need a Floor Refinishing Product Recommendation

Allison Friedman afriedman at rateitgreen.com
Wed May 13 10:06:27 CDT 2015

Hi everyone -

I need a recommendation for a great and durable eco friendly floor finishing product, as we're refinishing our wood floors this summer.  I was surprised that at this time of the green building movement when I asked the subcontractor for some eco options and got a shrug and an offer to use a water-based top coat (only) "if I wanted."  Yes, I want to use low or no VOC products for the environment and also for my family.

 I posted this on RIG’s site, and of course I would love to start a discussion on the topic.  But really, I just need the advice - and I want the information to be getting out there for others too, in any venue.  http://www.rateitgreen.com/green-building-community/discussions/products/i-need-a-fabulous-water-based-poly-or-other-eco-floor-coating/697

I am working to promote green building products and services, and sometimes I forget that it's not automatic to ask about environmentally friendlier options and to think this way.  I thought this would be easier and I could really use a super recommendation (the key is just to get the information out there so we can support these positive products and so in this case we can breathe a bit better too).

Are you also surprised when you go out into the real world and assume there will be eco options - and then people don’t seem to be as enthusiastic as let’s say the people and companies were at the last green building event you attended?

I want to hear about products people out there really believe in - and I want to go back and say here, this comes recommended.  We’re using it.

Thanks!
Allison

Allison Friedman
Rate It Green