[Greenbuilding] Need a Floor Refinishing Product Recommendation

Frank Tettemer frank at livingsol.com
Wed May 13 12:59:06 CDT 2015

Hi Allison,

If you find a suitable product, that stands up well on a floor, with no
VOC's, I will be amazed. Please share the news. I'm not aware of any.
Water-based urethane products, once they have worn, require significant
scraping and sanding to remove the product, before refinishing. Not at
all sustainable, from my point of view.

/Sanding evenly, and working the grits down from 40 to 80 to 110 to 240,
will do more for the finish and look of the wood than anything you can
wipe onto it.

/After that, what you wipe onto it has two choices, but both involve
solvents. Here they are:/
/
1.) What I've used on many floors is polymerized Tung Oil, thinned with
citrus oil solvent. The less thinner you use, the shinier, and the
slower it is to dry, and the more difficult it is to apply a super thin
coat that will dry well without being tacky or turning milky.
If you use more thinner, then it dries "better", with a matte finish. I
like to apply 6 to 8 coats, on raw, sanded hardwood. With good drying
weather, this can be done over 7 to 9 days, which may not work for the
modern world. Which is why it's not too popular.  But it is the toughest
and the best.

2.)  Second approach would be to use a linseed oil/tung oil/carnauba wax
blend, by Eco-House, from New Brunswick. This is my favorite to use,
though slightly less durable. It works wonders over a tinted, and finely
trowelled floor, or, over a well-sanded hardwood floor. This requires no
experimenting or mixing; just three or four coats:
http://www.eco-house.com/shop/270-hardwood-floor-oil/

I want to use products that I believe in; yet long-lasting durability,
and the ability to refinish the wood in the future, without having to
strip off the old hardened finish, is a part of my belief as well.

Frank

//