[Greenbuilding] Need a Floor Refinishing Product Recommendation

Allison Friedman afriedman at rateitgreen.com
Thu May 14 22:09:43 CDT 2015

Thanks very much, Benjamin, Reuben, Gennaro, Frank -

So for products, it looks like we have some ideas.  I really appreciate it.

I am an organizer and I get a little lost, so perhaps this can be helpful as an imperfect summary of thoughts received (this doesn’t have Gennaro’s awesome humor or Frank’s full advice):

-Osmo Hardwax Oil http://www.osmona.com/interior/Original_polyx.shtml (check VOCs?)

-Bona product line

-Eco-house (New Brunswick) linseed oil/tung oil/carnauba wax blend (http://www.eco-house.com/product-category/natural-wood-finishes/wax-finishes/)

-http://www.realmilkpaint.com/products/oils/ (tung oil)

-Polymerized Tung Oil, thinned with citrus oil solvent
>> http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/page.aspx?p=20051&cat=1,190,42942 This
>> has directions for controlling the gloss of the finish.
>> This is the Tung oil, to mix with the above tung oil sealer
>> http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/page.aspx?p=20050&cat=1,190,42942

Two friends also recommended Vermont Natural Coatings to me (one is a green building retailer, so they should know w some confidence?).  I want to pass that company on to the group in case someone wants to check it out.

I am also passing all of these ideas on to my subcontractor.  I don’t know if he would consider the ones that require more effort (honestly, it seems not), but it never hurts to share information and to show someone some new ideas.  We could maybe convert him to being a greener guy, or at least to learning a bit about IAQ issues.

Frank:  I totally agree with what you said:  "I want to use products that I believe in; yet long-lasting durability.”  This group is awesome because you all make it sound so easy.  When I leave the green-interested world, things don’t look as green out there.

Thanks again.
Allison

Allison Friedman
Rate It Green