[Greenbuilding] Need a Floor Refinishing Product Recommendation

Jason Holstine jason at amicusgreen.com
Fri May 15 00:27:14 CDT 2015

To clarify, oil-based poly¹s are poison. Water-based poly¹s can be healthy
and great, or poison and great, or poison and crap.  All top-coat polys
typically require sanding to refinish.
Oil-based penetrating finishes can be beautiful, durable, natural (even
organic), and healthy. What¹s real nice about these finishes is that you can
easily patch and repair and top-coat, should never need to sand and
refinish.

I sell a lot of:
* Osmo Polyx Oil ­ apply it thin and work it in. When in doubt, use less.
That¹s the key to success. Airports in Europe use it. A lot of pros just
can¹t figure this out b/c it¹s the opposite of what they¹re used to and they
don¹t do ³new and different² well.
* AFM Safecoat Oil-Wax penetrating finish, which is an organic mix of plant
oils and plant waxes. Not as strong as Polyx Oil for a floor (very popular
for furniture, trims, beams, etc)
* Vermont Naturals ­ a very nice one-part water-based poly. Works well, good
product.
* AFM Safecoat Polyureseal ­ a very nice one-part water-based poly, more
expensive. The choice for a real glossy sheen. Unique in that it helps to
seal in offgassing you¹ve applied another finish that is creating an IAQ
problem.

I sell lesser amounts of Pure Tung Oil, which is as pure as it gets but it¹s
a labor of love. Several coats, takes days b/w coats. Polymerized tung oil
is basterdized; doesn¹t count in the green world if health counts.

Bona Traffic is a 2-part water-based poly that can be very nice and durable,
but is a little more complicated to apply b/c it¹s 2-parts (mix a hardener
in).

Rubio Monocoat has been getting more popular. Another penetrating finish.
One comment I¹ve heard is that it sometimes can feel TOO thin on the wood.

HTH,

Jason