[Greenbuilding] Unconscionable Concrete Use

Peter/Pam Martin p2j2 at shaw.ca
Sat Nov 21 14:38:04 CST 2015

Learned in an article at
http://www.ancient-origins.net/history/ten-things-ancients-did-better-us-004557
that the Romans made concrete by mixing lime,
volcanic rock, and seawater that contained the
ideal crystalline structure of Tobermorite.
Purportedly the Roman concrete had a greater
strength and durability than modern concrete as
well as only requiring baking the limestone at
900°C. Any present attempts at duplicating this process?

Another concrete observation: I've been watching
a series on public TV called Grand Designs where
the builders use inordinate quantities of
concrete, with some of the slab pours having the
consistency of soup. Is this normal practice in
the UK? It reminds me of the building methods of
Mike "I don't use one stud when I can use five" Holmes.

Peter