[Greenbuilding] Swedish solar-heated village

Dan Johnson danjoh99 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 12:31:08 CST 2015

Thanks John for the Danish examples of district heating powered by
centralized solar-thermal. A few questions come to mind:

1. What is the installed and operating cost per BTU for this system, versus
the same solar-thermal panels on individual houses without the district
loop? Or compared to a Nick-Pine-style low-mass sunspace on each house---or
to Soldier's Grove, Wisconsin? It seems like this Danish system adds the
cost of the district loop, yet has all the same problems as distributed
solar heat.

2. Problems being primarily: there is no heat when the sun's not shining.
For this, Nick suggested a heat pump and PV panels, "using the grid for
storage". I pointed out that the grid has no storage, and the PVs are more
like a shady carbon offset scheme, so perhaps there is only "storage" in
the wishful abstract.

3. The Danish system solves the problem of
no-heat-when-the-sun's-not-shining using 4000m3 hot-water storage [8.8
million pounds of water], and by burning natural gas in a central boiler
and sending hot water through the district loop. This is not much different
than homeowners storing hot water and burning their own natural gas at each
house, is it? From the brochure linked here:
http://www.sonderborg-fjernvarme.dk/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Solparken_folder_gb.pdf,
"The boiler plant is able to supplement the solar heating with up to 5
kilowatt [only 17 kBTU/hr? Something lost in translation]. The plant
consists of two boilers that run on ***CO2-neutral biofuel***" Magical
stuff. where do I buy some? Why don't we just replace ALL natural gas with
this? :-)

4. Compare the Danish scheme to PG&E in California, which burns NG at a
generator to make electricity (combined cycle claims 41-61% efficiency,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_cycle; say 51% average), sends the
electricity to homeowners, who then run heat pumps (COP=2.5?). Crude math
says N BTU delivered / 2.5 / 0.51 = 0.78N BTU at the power plant,
neglecting line losses. Burning the gas at home would be N BTU @ 93%
efficiency = 1.07N BTU input, neglecting delivery costs. So using the heat
pump is a more efficient use of gas? Perhaps a district-scale,
combined-cycle NG co-generator that energized a central heat pump and fed a
district loop would be the best? Could one of these be built at each
existing powerplant, using the existing cooling water for a water-source
heat pump? The powerplants are not in-town, where the heat is needed. :-)
Dan J

Dan Johnson
510-325-5672 cell