[Greenbuilding] replacement window discussion

John Salmen terrain at shaw.ca
Wed Sep 23 13:51:14 CDT 2015

In modelling buildings you can predict the difference in performance between various glazing assemblies and for a new home the cost difference between a vinyl product with double glaze and a triple glaze is probably recoverable in a decent time frame.

For a renovation the labour involved in restoring an older window (essentially sealing and either reglazing or providing a sealed storm) would be comparable and possibly more than a vinyl performance window as it involves not just refinishing (as Alan describes) but can include removing of trim, exterior and interior sealing and insulating cavities, repairing counterweights, etc.  I actually think investing in the labour of restoration is preferable to buying more product and creating more waste, as its a local solution and creates labour. We have enough crappy new windows out there.

John