[Greenbuilding] Water heater timer energy savings?

Antonioli Dan solardan26 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 10:22:20 CDT 2016

Nick,

I looked into some of the systems you suggest and they aren’t as cost effective as you might think. There’s even a newish system out of New Zeland that uses a combination of solar and condensation to produce hot water under any weather conditions, but it’s not cheap! I think the day will come when the efficiency of heat-pump electric hot water heaters, the efficiency of pv, and the lowering price of pv will make these systems cost competitive with solar thermal.

In the meantime, I already have a garage full of 4x10 flate plate collectors in good condition and am using them for different projects, including a stellar thermosyphon system on my rural property that cranks out a ton of hot water.

Thermal collectors are also much more efficient than pv, and a good thermal system can also be married to a hydronic heating system, as well as air handlers to be incorporated into existing hvac systems. We installed a multi-system in San Francisco where the old hvac beast was removed and replaced with an air handler and high efficiency solar gas boiler. It was heated or “pre-heated” by solar thermal, provided all the hot water needs of the house, hot air into the existing hvac, and a single low-temp baseboard heater for one of the bedrooms which was in the basement and cold year-round….it works like a charm and the owners are happy with it.

I wouldn’t regard Solarhart’s standing as reflecting the solar thermal industry. All major hot water heater companies offer solar thermal packages so along with PV solar thermal has gone much more mainstream. And in the US people don’t like the look of Solarhart….but they’re all over Europe.

Dan