[Greenbuilding] Hot water pipe insulation

Nick Pyner npyner at ihug.com.au
Fri Apr 15 22:14:45 CDT 2016

On 16/04/2016 12:38 AM, Nick Pine wrote:
> Antonioli Dan <solardan26 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >... The biggest heat loss for a modern hot water heater is through
> the uninsulated pipes, and you’ll get a much bigger bang for the buck
> if you insulated the entire hot water lines (as required by many green
> certification systems).
> Hmm. The $21.57 blanket paid for itself in 1.39 years.

That doesn't mean uninsulated pipes isn't the biggest heat loss and
fixing them isn't just about the best advice you will ever get. And
while you are it, checking the water use would be a good idea.

I'm not going to look at the archaic maths, but it does not seem to have
taken into account the function of a water pipe. Its purpose is not to
store water, but to allow its movement. "Movement"  may be interpreted
as a constant supply of water at a likely minimum of about 140 (gasp!)F.

I'm amazed this is even a matter of discussion, particularly with most
participants in North America. If there really is any query about
certification, all will be revealed in section 8 of

Australian/New Zealand Standard AS/NZS3500.4 Plumbing and drainage, Part
4: Heated water services.

and we do it with decent weather.

Nick Pyner

Dee Why Beach   NSW