[Greenbuilding] Another Lighting Retrofit

Alan Abrams alan at abramsdesignbuild.com
Tue Apr 19 05:41:15 CDT 2016

Hi Paul (or other electrical wizards)-

do you have any experience retrofitting hotel or multifamily corridor
lighting with occupancy sensors? For example, what are the code
limitations--minimum lighting levels when not actuated, hours of operation,
etc...

I've stayed in apartment bldgs in Europe where corridor lights were
completely off, all the time, unless actuated. I am also aware that
California was considering a mandate for dual level systems a few years
ago, with limited hours of operation, but I don't know what became of it.
IIRC, they would have required one lumen per square foot, when not actuated.

-aa

Alan Abrams

*certified professional building designer, AIBDcertified passive house
consultant, PHIUS*
*certified passive house builder, PHIUS*
cell     202-437-8583
alan at abramsdesignbuild.com
HELICON WORKS *Architecture and Education*
<http://www.heliconworks.com/index2.html>