[Greenbuilding] Heat pump HWS

Nick Pyner npyner at ihug.com.au
Thu Apr 21 23:32:47 CDT 2016

Indeed I have.  I was unsure about raising them because of climate
considerations, but the essential principle is the same anyway. It's
just a matter of a PV-powered resistance heater, or a PV-powered heat
pump.  If the latter is a practical option, it's a hell of a lot better
one, and means the PV power available can be deployed elsewhere.

Our state certification is a little bit rough'n'ready in this arena, but
heatpump is rated highly.  Standard resistance heating was simply banned
from new construction for some years. It then quietly came back on the
lists some time ago but, while they don't actually say so, I suspect you
have no chance of getting a pass with it if you don't have some PV. On
the other hand, including PV absolves you from all sorts of sins -
resistance heat electric storage HWS included.

Heat pump HWS have attracted some controversy of late with claims that
the capital and maintenance costs may outweigh the savings. I don't
believe it. The tank may well fail before the fridge gear does. I don't
know much about them and I would be more worried about noise.

Nick Pyner

Dee Why NSW
>> Antonioli Dan <solardan26 at gmail.com> wrote:

heat pump?