[Greenbuilding] Heat pump HWS

Antonioli Dan solardan26 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 10:34:35 CDT 2016

Some states (in the United States) have apparently banned electric hot water tank heaters, limiting them to heat-pump only. My hydronic supplier told me that his brother lives in Texas and recently replaced his hot water heater and discovered that they could only buy a heat-pump hot water heater (gas wasn’t an option), and they are complaining about the recharge time. I’m looking into hybrid models that allow you to program the tanks to run on heat-pump only, electric only, and both.

The electric solar thermal tanks have one electric 4500 watt element and two additional dip tubes. With roughly 80% of the heat coming from solar and the remaining 20% coming from grid-tie solar you can easily achieve net-zero energy hot water.

But with heat pumps now all the rage what I’m looking for are solid numbers, not hypothetical calculations. Real-time testing. How much electricity do the heat pumps use? If you use them in hybrid mode can you achieve the same degree of efficiency and net-zero energy as a thermal system?

Neither Rheem, my hydronic supplier, or my solar thermal contact (with 35 years of thermal experience!) have any real-world experience. Rheem sells both thermal and heat pump hot water heaters but their “technical support” division is clueless!

Dan