[Greenbuilding] Heat pump HWS

Nick Pyner npyner at ihug.com.au
Fri Apr 22 22:45:10 CDT 2016

Ah, now that IS interesting. Because the NSW certification rated
heatpump highly, I assumed  the testing was all done. I'm sure this is
true from a simple energy standpoint, a COP is a COP, but that is all
the energy certification is interested in, and it doesn't reflect the
bigger picture.  The controversy I alluded to has been brewing for some
time and it all hit the fan with with the release of a Regulatory Impact
Statement in 2013.

http://www.energyrating.gov.au/document/consultation-regulation-impact-statement-heat-pump-water-heaters

and background

http://yourenergysavings.gov.au/energy/hot-water/heat-pump-hot-water

The certification work I do is a minimum standard. I have never needed
to call for heat pump. If PV goes in, a plain-vanilla storage heater
more than suffices.  I was looking into heat pumps on a job but I found
the manufacturer excluded alpine areas over 1000m, and there's me, you
guessed it, working on a ski lodge at 1700m.  I subsequently found that
Rheem make no such distinction and claim(ed) their included resistance
heater was unique. Not true, Bosch have one too.

I can't see why you would ever programme a heat pump to use electric
only. It is only there for backup and should not require human intervention.

The game seems pretty shambolic.

Nick Pyner

Dee Why Beach   NSW