[Greenbuilding] Heat pump HWS

Stephen sl at 210nle.com
Sat Apr 23 11:57:46 CDT 2016

I think he was referring to Nick Pine!

From: Greenbuilding [mailto:greenbuilding-bounces at lists.bioenergylists.org]
On Behalf Of Nick Pyner
Sent: Saturday, April 23, 2016 12:43 PM
To: greenbuilding at lists.bioenergylists.org
Subject: Re: [Greenbuilding] Heat pump HWS

Hi Bob
There is nothing particularly detailed about my figures and there is not
much in the way of calculation! It is all simply an extension of about
fifteen years of work with grey water heat exchangers. I have a standard
Rheem electric storage heater with its own exclusive kWh and water meters.
The heat exchanger works with a Maddalena heat meter which gives a daily
output in kWh and total water flow. The testing arrangement is not ideal but
I do know exactly what is going on!
I think it is a big mistake to try to plan for "just enough panels" for your
HWS. You are bound to get it wrong, and your wife will be far from
impressed.
The reason why I am looking at 3kW of panels is because that is all that
will fit in a single group on a north-facing roof. That's real planning for
you - architecture and environment, not numbers.
The 3kW means I only need about 1.5 hrs of peak power equivalent, so I can
be reasonably confident of getting that regularly, particularly as the roof
is pretty ideally pitched at 45 degrees. It was actually built to take a
(gasp!) solar thermal HWS, but that never happened. For all that, I don't
think the HWS is so important since, if it was not on solar, it would be
getting power off-peak after 10pm. Far more important is the stuff that has
unavoidable daytime demand - the fridge, the stove, and winter space
heating.  If you want to do some serious planning, that is the place to
look. All I have done there is confirm that the energy label on the back of
the fridge was correct on an annual basis, and all that really meant was
that getting a new one is not such a high priority.  Your power bills should
tell you all you need to know.
Nick Pyner
Dee Why Beach   NSW