[Greenbuilding] Heat pump HWS

Antonioli Dan solardan26 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 23 17:10:41 CDT 2016

On the Nyle website right now. Looks like they have a range of good products!

For my application, I won’t have control over the usage and there can be up to eight people using a single 80 gallon tank. Honestly, I don’t mind if we run out of hot water now and then because I’ve witnessed too many times people taking extremely long hot showers when there are no limits with on-demand units. One of my former tent/housemates was from Oregon where he didn’t grow up with water shortages, and he would routinely drain an entire 60 gallon tank of hot water for his showers.

But back to net zero energy strategies. I hope to get some numbers on heat-pump units vis-a-vis PV and compare it to a standard solar-electric-thermal system. I don’t have an aversion to solar thermal on the roof, especially when it’s providing 80% of the heat year-round. My solar-heated hot tub has a dedicated thermal system and it’s paid for itself at least a dozen times….about $8/month compared to $60-80/month for a typical hot tub. It uses a Taco High-Lifter pump to move the water 40’ up to the roof, and back down again…hardly an ideal design but it’s the only design that will work in that condition. And it works….really well! And I haven’t had a single maintenance issue with it in 10+ years of usage.

Dan