[Greenbuilding] 2" drain line for a 0.8gpf toilet?

Joe Killian kaa-ajk at sonic.net
Sun Apr 24 19:12:15 CDT 2016

Yes, a well known/documented relationship.
...Well, that inverse relationship can't be extended indefinitely (else
let's go to 1/2" pipe!).

   When the diameter gets smaller than the solids being transported it
stops up (barring sufficient pressure to transform & move the solids).
So the question is how far can we extend that inverse relationship
before it becomes non-linear and we have to get the snake out.  Perhaps
those A.S. experts had some feeling for where extending that inverse
relationship begins to fail reflecting reality.  Obviously a function of
the size of the solids being transported, but they'd likely also have a
good feeling for that size too.  Perhaps they knew from experience that
testing a 2" line would show it too frequently stops up instead of
transporting the solids.
   My tendency is to #1: trust the experts, and #2: be conservative
because I don't want to be using my snake.  For me, being conservative
here certainly includes using a pipe notably larger in diameter than the
exit aperture of the fixture.

Joe