[Greenbuilding] Radioactivity in drinking water supplies in Western Australia | Philip J Jennings - Academia.edu

Carmine Vasile gfx-ch at msn.com
Wed Apr 27 12:36:16 CDT 2016

Nick: Since you and other Greenbuilders continue to promote tank-type heat pump water heaters instead of tankless water heaters with tankless heat recovery systems like those shown @ http://www.gfxtechnology.com/, you all should read "Radioactivity in drinking water supplies in Western Australia" because storage tanks used in heat pump & solar water heaters accumulate radioactive sediment from radioactive water supplies. Even if you filter it with expensive RO or GAC filter systems, Radon-220 & Rn-222 gases produced by Ra-224, Ra-226 & Ra-228 will contaminate sediment with their decay products; including Lead-210 & Polonium-210.       The Abstract & Highlights are inserted below. NOTE: The USEPA MCL is 4 mrem/yr (0.04 mSv/yr) so some of your well water exceeds the it by a factor of 59. Here on Long Island some wells contain Pb-210 & Po-210 levels exceeding 1,000 pCi/L (37,000 mBq/L) compared to 114.2 mBq/L in your country.The USEPA has no MCL for Radon, despite the tach that Congress mandated one by 1991. Groundwater will gather millions of water soluble Radon-222 atoms produced by less soluble Radium-226. Ingested Radon gases enter the blood stream via the stomach wall and are quickly exhaled by the lungs -- except those that changed into Polonium, Lead & Bismuth.Wells in upstate NY have up to 1,000 Bq/L (27,000 pCi/L of Radon-222, but the Abstract doesn't address this issue. In America cancer is big business today, in part, because EPA & FDA officials conspired to defeat Nixon's War on Cancer by excluding Radon-222 from the Radionuclides Rule of 1976. (I hope your Australian health officials are less corrupt.)     Best regards,Carmine

Radioactivity in Drinking Water Supplies in Western Australia by M. Walsh, G. Wallner* and P. JenningsSchool of Engineering and Energy, Murdoch University, Murdoch, Western Australia*Institute of Inorganic Chemistry, University of Vienna, AustriaAddress correspondence to M. Walsh, Murdoch University,90 South Street, Murdoch, Western Australia 6150.Telephone: 61 417 961 533. E-mail: maurice.walsh.ems at bigpond.comAbstract(from: https://www.academia.edu/19091353/Radioactivity_in_drinking_water_supplies_in_Western_Australia)Radiochemical analysis was carried out on 52 drinking water samples taken from public outlets in the southwest of Western Australia. All samples were analysed for Ra-226, Ra-228 and Pb-210.Twenty five of the samples were also analysed for Po-210, and 23 were analysed for U-234 and U-238. Ra-228 was found in 45 samples and the activity ranged from < 4.000 to 296.1 mBq L-1. Ra-226 was detected in all 52 samples and the activity ranged from 3.200 to 151.1 mBq L-1. Po-210 was detected in 24 samples and the activity ranged from 0.000 to 114.2 mBq/L. These data were used to compute the annual radiation dose that persons of different age groups and also for pregnant and lactating females would receive from drinking this water. The estimated doses ranged from 0.001 to 2.375 mSv y-1  [0.1 to 237.5 mrem/yr] with a mean annual dose of 0.167 mSv y-1 [16.7 mrem]. The main contributing radionuclides to the annual dose were Ra-228, Po-210 and Ra-226. Of the 52 drinking water samples tested, 94%complied with the current Australian Drinking Water Guidelines, while 10% complied with the World Health Organisation’s radiological guidelines which many other countries use. It is likely that these results provide an overestimate of the compliance, due to limitations, in the sampling technique and resource constraints on the analysis. Because of the increasing reliance of the Western Australian community on groundwater for domestic and agricultural purposes, it is likely that the radiological content of the drinking water will increase in the future. Therefore there is a need for further monitoring and analysis in order to identify problem areas.Highlights·         Mean doses from Ra-228, Po-210 and Ra-226 were 0.121, 0.026 and 0.019 mSv y-1. ·         The total dose was between 0.001 to 2.375 mSv y-1. ·         94% of the drinking water samples complied with the current Australian guidelines.·         10% complied with the WHO’s radiological guidelines for drinking water.·          6% complied with the US EPA radiological guideline for drinking water