[Greenbuilding] Advice for a Rehab Newbie?

Lynelle Hamilton lynelle at lahamilton.com
Wed Apr 27 20:33:54 CDT 2016

Hello Listers

I am on the third house and hope I can impose with a few questions to
those who've much more experience than I. I've only built from scratch,
so have no feel for the following.

 1. What has been your experience with raising and extensively rehabing
    (new windows, insulation, sealing, etc.) a cottage. I'm considering
    a lot that has an existing cottage that may be usable as a second
    story "shell".  The existing structure is on piers, with reasonable
    air circulation underneath, so may be structurally viable.  it's 40'
    x 18.5'.  It has no insulation and the windows are old single glazed
    and damaged. Siding is crappy looking but not rotten...I'd likely
    replace it as part of the insulation/sealing.  Interior walls are
    hardboard or plywood and would go. I'd likely larsen truss the
    exterior and insulate to R-40
 2. Which is best: insulated slab on grade or an insulated crawl space?
    The conservation folks (and I agree) will not allow a basement, due
    to the water table.
 3. Because of the time of year and my ability to find reliable folks to
    work, I'm considering using a prefab shell.  I care that any
    structure I use is well-sealed and insulated (walls R-40)  Has
    anyone had any experience with GreenTerraHomes? Are there any others
    out there, or folks in the York/Durham Region who anyone knows are
    familiar with low energy construction

MANY thanks for any advice you have!

Lynelle

---