[Greenbuilding] Advice for a Rehab Newbie?

Lynelle Hamilton lynelle at lahamilton.com
Thu Apr 28 20:13:30 CDT 2016

Hi Joe,
I'm high enough that a slab will do just fine.  This is a year round
home, so will insulate to the base of the footings and under the slab as
you suggest.  I'm planning on running virtually all the plumbing through
walls (planning a design that has the bath, laundry and kitchen water
etc in the centre of the home, and around the hot water heater/tankless
and furnace area.)  The site has town water and sewer, so shower drains
and those pipes will be in the slab, but that's about it.

Thanks!

On 2016-04-28 12:34 PM, Joe Killian wrote:
>    I hate crawl spaces.  And so will you after doing much work in one,
> even if you don't have to wend through many spider webs.  A high water
> table portends crawl space moisture issues too.
>    Insulated slab on grade has worked very well for me.  Put moisture
> barrier underneath (Visqueen or equivalent works).
>   If it's occupied all year, insulation on the perimeter down to the
> footing is best.  The thermal time constant will be very long, but
> you'll lose few BTU over the long haul.  An insulated break (1" foam)
> between the stemwall and slab as well as insulation outside the
> stemwall works well.
>   If it's not occupied year-round, you'll want a shorter thermal time
> constant, so would then want to insulate under the slab - again with
> foam.  Keep the stemwall/footing insulation at the perimeter.  Most of
> you heat loss will be out the sides near the surface, whether you have
> under-slab insulation or not.
>
>   I put very minimal pipes in the slab (ground floor drain only), and
> bring all else inside and construct chases for most plumbing &
> electrical.  Protects from freezing better and MUCH easier access for
> any maintenance (& even initial installation).
>
> Joe
>

> On 4/28/2016 5:44 AM, Norbert Senf wrote:
>> http://dac.ca/index.html
>>
>> On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 9:33 PM, Lynelle Hamilton
>> <lynelle at lahamilton.com> wrote:
>>
>>     Hello Listers
>>
>>     I am on the third house and hope I can impose with a few
>>     questions to those who've much more experience than I. I've only
>>     built from scratch, so have no feel for the following.
>>
>>      1. Which is best: insulated slab on grade or an insulated crawl
>>         space?  The conservation folks (and I agree) will not allow a
>>         basement, due to the water table.

---